Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fitting Jeans #7

Here is my latest fitting garment.  These stupid jeans again.  I am so close but still not close enough.  And every fitting results in only modest improvements.  *sigh*  These are actually very comfortable but they are very loose.   
For this pair I took my Fitting Jeans #5 and simply added a 0.5" extension to the back crotch. 

It looks like 0.5" might have been too much.  And I should probably reduce hip ease. 

Monday, May 30, 2011

Voila! Motorcycle Jacket Lining

The lining came together so easily.  There were no darts.  I serged all the raw edges before sewing and then I bound them all in bias tape.  Here it is ready to be sewn in. 

I used a blindstitch to attach the lining to the coat.  It was easy but it took forever. 

DH is so excited.  He has a big ride this coming weekend and he can't wait to show everyone.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Buried Treasure!

I went to a garage sale on saturday and filled my trunk with vintage craft materials.  I found knitting and sewing magazines, sewing patterns, transfers and then some craft supplies.  I even found a Hank Williams Honky Tonkin' record.  This doesn't happen to me very often.  Most of the time the vintage crafts have already been bought or worse, thrown out.
 Here are some of the cooler patterns.

 These are the rest of the patterns.  They are mostly from the 60's thru the 80's.  
 These are the magazines.  There is a December 1950 issue of Better Homes.  Several old knitting and crochet pattern books.  Some even have patterns for bras and corset covers! 
 This box is full of magazines and catalogs from 1905 thru the late 20's.  They are mostly about homemaking.  There are crafts, and handy tips, as well as hilarious adverts.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Motorcycle jacket lining and copying ready to wear

My husband has asked me to line his motorcycle jacket with chinese brocade.  He doesn't need the sleeves lined, only the bodice.  I decided to use painters tape to make my pattern pieces.  I had to do it twice because the first time I tried to peel off the tape it fell apart. 

I used tailors chalk and marked the center back line. I used my painters tape and placed it along the outline of half the back piece. Then I covered the whole thing in painters tape.

Because it fell apart the first time I decided to reinforce the painters tape with duct tape.  The duct tape is crosswise to the painters tape. 

 I taped the side piece before removing the back piece.
   I checked the lower armhole to make sure the pattern pieces matched.  I used a sharpy to make small corrections.  And I made a few notch marks for lining up the pieces.
 The duct tape reinforcement really helped peel off the pieces. 
Ta Da!  They don't lie perfectly flat and the center back and center front lines are not exactly straight.  But it's a good start.  I will make small corrections when I trace and prepare them for seam allowances. 

Happy Victoria Day weekend!


Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Almost There

After many months of learning to fit pants I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Here is my latest muslin.  I'd like to post about all the changes and adjustments I've made but there are SOO many.  Once the pants are perfect I will attempt to outline what I've learned about pants fitting.