Sunday, May 22, 2011

Motorcycle jacket lining and copying ready to wear

My husband has asked me to line his motorcycle jacket with chinese brocade.  He doesn't need the sleeves lined, only the bodice.  I decided to use painters tape to make my pattern pieces.  I had to do it twice because the first time I tried to peel off the tape it fell apart. 

I used tailors chalk and marked the center back line. I used my painters tape and placed it along the outline of half the back piece. Then I covered the whole thing in painters tape.

Because it fell apart the first time I decided to reinforce the painters tape with duct tape.  The duct tape is crosswise to the painters tape. 

 I taped the side piece before removing the back piece.
   I checked the lower armhole to make sure the pattern pieces matched.  I used a sharpy to make small corrections.  And I made a few notch marks for lining up the pieces.
 The duct tape reinforcement really helped peel off the pieces. 
Ta Da!  They don't lie perfectly flat and the center back and center front lines are not exactly straight.  But it's a good start.  I will make small corrections when I trace and prepare them for seam allowances. 

Happy Victoria Day weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment